Easington Colliery was the last pit to close on the Durham Coalfield in 1993, with the loss of 1,400 jobs.
The town is also known as the setting of the folktale, "The Legend of the Easington hare".
As a former coal mining town, Easington is now an unemployment blackspot after the mine closed in 1993.
The population of Easington Village was 2,164 in 2001, There is evidence of Easington having been an important pre-conquest site, including architectural fragments (dating from as early as the 8th century) found within the fabric of St Mary's Church.
a funding package of .3 million for a "Quick Win" implementation of a bus rapid transit line along Highway 2.
This funding package was approved in full as part of the 2008 provincial budget, and a preliminary BRT implementation is expected to be running within three years.
This post office has now closed as of 10 October 2008 after being cut in the closure scheme by the Post Office. It acts as the main secondary school for the village and surrounding area.The sinking of Easington Colliery began on 11 April 1899.The ward lies just north of Peterlee and the settlement grew up around the colliery.The Executive Committee consists of the Regional Chair and one councilor from each of the eight Durham Region municipalities as appointed by the Mayor of each municipality.DRT is organized into operating divisions mirroring its predecessor systems: Most of DRT's operational and maintenance services are provided by regional staff who are members of Canadian Auto Workers Local 222.